RHA is seeking proposals for Emergency Housing and Eviction Prevention Services. Submissions must be due by July 31, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. Click here to download the RFP.

For Applicants

The application process can be daunting, but we’re here to help. Most questions about applying for any subsidized RHA housing can be answered on this page.

Public Notice

All RHA Waitlists are CLOSED.
Click HERE to apply.

To be informed when waitlists are open, text “RHARESIDENT” to the number 888777.
Note: We can’t tell you where you are on the waitlist.

Are you a New Applicant?

Are you a Returning Applicant?

Programs Offered & Eligibility

Public Housing

Public housing is a HUD-subsidized housing assistance program in which the RHA owns, manages, and maintains housing units and leases them to qualifying low-income households. The assistance is provided for a specific public housing unit only, meaning the assistance cannot be transferred to another unit. When a participant moves out of their unit, their housing assistance cannot be used somewhere else. The RHA owns eight public housing complexes throughout Washoe County and typically assists households with income at or below 80% of the area median income (AMI).

All program applicants go through an eligibility process including an interview, fingerprint background check, income and asset verification and, rental history screening before signing their lease. The participant’s rent and utilities is based on 30% of the household’s adjusted income.

happy RHA Family

Rental Assistance

Created by the Housing and Community Development Act of 1978, the Housing Choice Voucher program, formerly known as Section 8, provides assistance to eligible low- and moderate-income families to rent housing in the private market.

happy RHA Family

Other RHA Affordable Housing

RHA owns and manages several affordable housing complexes serving Washoe County residents with income at or below 80% of the area median income. All program applicants go through an eligibility process including an interview, fingerprint background check, income and asset verification and, rental history screening before signing their lease.

one of RHA's sites

Homeless Prevention Program

The Homeless Prevention Program, previously administered by Washoe Affordable Housing Corporation, provides Emergency Rental Assistance to residents of Washoe County to prevent homelessness arising from emergencies that temporarily jeopardize a household’s ability to pay rent or utilities.  Approved households will be provided with up to two (2) months of total eligible rent and fees.  To be eligible for assistance, households must meet the following criteria:

  • Must have lived in Nevada for the past two (2) years;
  • Must currently be renting a unit in Washoe County;
  • Must have received an eviction notice for non-payment of rent OR a utility shutoff notice;
  • Must be able to demonstrate a financial hardship or emergency situation which occurred in the last 90 days and has costs exceeding one (1) month of rent;
  • Household income CANNOT exceed 60% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for the household size;
  • Household assets cannot exceed three (3) months of rent;
  • At least one (1) household member must be a U.S. citizen or national or non-citizen with an eligible immigration status;
  • Must not have received assistance from the Homeless Prevention Program within three (3) years or have been denied for assistance within 90 days preceding the date of application.

Households wishing to apply for assistance should submit the below application to homelessprevention@renoha.org.  Applications are only accepted between the 1st and the 10th of each month.  Applications received outside of this period will not be maintained and will need to be submitted the following month if assistance is still required. 

The Homeless Prevention Program is funded through an annual application to Nevada Housing Division’s Account for Affordable Housing Trust Funds, and funding is limited to the amount awarded to the RHA during each fiscal year. 

RHA reserves the right to suspend or terminate the program at any time.

Frequently Asked Questions

HUD subsidies are federal funds that pay a portion of rent on behalf of qualified low-income families, The family’s income must be under 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI). Reno Housing Authority receives HUD funding to provide subsidized housing assistance through several programs, including the Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Project Based Voucher and others.

The main page of the RHA website will alert you when waitlists are open to apply for subsidized housing assistance. You must qualify for the specific waitlist you wish to apply for. RHA applications are accepted online and can be completed on a computer or mobile device. Please have all your household information on hand, including date of birth and social security numbers, before beginning the online application. When your application is submitted, write down the confirmation number given to you at the end of the process. You will need this confirmation number to create an account in the applicant portal.If you are a returning applicant with an active, current RHA application, log into your portal account to add your name to any additional wait lists you may qualify for. The waitlist must be open, and you must qualify for the waitlist you would like to apply for.

The admissions department will send you a welcome letter with further instructions. You may be asked to provide documents to show proof of additional preferences (link to next question) you may qualify for. The welcome letter will be mailed to the address provided on your application. Please report any changes in writing within 10 days of occurrence (birth of baby, marriage, income changes, etc.) by emailing admissions@renoha.org.  In the portal, keep your address, phone number and email address current at all times, as this is how RHA will contact you. 

Log into your applicant portal account to check your status. You may also email admissions@renoha.org or call admission at 775-329-3630.

Every application is unique. The standard documents needed include current ID for all adults listed on the application, social security cards for all members listed on the application, birth certificates for all minors listed on the application, and proof of income for all members listed on the application. Proof of income can include social security payment documentation, paystubs for your current employer, documents for self-employment like Grubhub, DoorDash, etc. The admissions staff will inform you of any other documents needed during your interview.

The admissions department is your go to, and staff will provide you current, accurate information about your application. Email us at admissions@renoha.org or call 775-329-3630. 

Well-meaning friends and family may not have the most up-to-date information. Here are a number of things we hear a lot from applicants.

  • I have a job or pension, so I won’t qualify for housing assistance

RHA encourages all applicants to become self-sufficient, but having income does not prevent you from applying or receiving housing assistance. Each RHA program has income guidelines that vary from year to year, but simply having employment or another source of income does not disqualify someone from receiving assistance.

  • I can’t include my partner on my application because I’m not married

All persons that will reside with you in the HUD subsidized unit must be included on your application. During the Admissions process, it does not matter if the adult members listed on the application are roommates, boyfriends, domestic partners, sisters, mothers, grandmothers, etc. All adults must pass RHA’s application screening, though.

  • I have a bank account, so I won’t qualify for housing assistance

Simply having a bank account or other assets does not prevent anyone from applying for or receiving HUD subsidized housing assistance. A limit in assets may apply, though, and RHA admissions staff can provide you that information.

  • I can’t receive housing assistance because I get other social service benefits

Receiving TANF, SNAP, utility assistance and more does not prevent you from applying or receiving HUD subsidized housing assistance.

  • A family member does not live with me now, but will reside with me if I receive housing assistance

All adults and minors that will reside with you in the HUD subsidized unit must be included on your application. Written proof that the family member will reside with you may be required.

The current portion of my rent is based on my income. The current rent I pay is about 30% of my income. I live in a Project Based Section 8 subsidized housing complex. I signed a rental agreement agreeing I will receive HUD subsidized housing.

On the business day after you submit your online application, you will be able to create an account in the applicant portal.  To create an account you will need the following information:

  • The first letter of your first name and the exact spelling of your last name as it appears on the application. If you use a hyphenated last name, use the same format to login.
  • Confirmation number from the online application, OR your client number
  • Valid e-mail address

To determine your application’s place in line on the waitlist, we use the date and time your application was submitted, and preferences. Preferences, including age and veterans status, among others,  provide additional points that can move your place in line higher. RHA must receive written verification of any preferences you wish to claim. The admissions department mails periodic reminders of preferences you may qualify for, and the types of documents needed to demonstrate proof of a preference.

Each waitlist moves independently and time frames are difficult to determine. As vacancies become available, you will receive a letter from RHA detailing the time and date of your interview,  and the list of documents to bring along. It’s important to check your mail regularly AND update the applicant portal with any changes to your mailing address, phone number, family composition, etc.

As a general rule, your rent will be 30-40% of your adjusted monthly income, but the final amount is affected by several factors.

All changes including gain or loss of employment, marriage status change, new baby, adding or removing someone from your application, new address, new phone number, etc. must be reported in writing within 10 days of it happening. You may log into your portal account or email a completed update form to send to  admissions@renoha.org.

Need a Form?

All applicant forms are available here.

Accessibility Toolbar

What are you looking for today?