Participant Common Questions

No. RHA is not currently accepting applications for either the Housing Choice Voucher or Project Based Voucher program.

Under the HCV program, RHA issues an eligible family a voucher and the family selects a unit of its choice. If the family moves out of the unit, the contract with the owner ends and the family can move with continued assistance to another unit.

Under the PBV program, RHA assigns a voucher to an eligible family to be used at a specific unit. Some of these units are owned by the Housing Authority. Because the assistance is tied to the unit, a family who moves from the project-based unit does not have any right to continued housing assistance. However, they may be eligible for a HCV when one becomes available.

RHA vouchers are issued for 120 calendar days. RHA may extend the initial voucher at 30-day increments, for a maximum voucher term of 180 days.

RHA helps make the search easier by offering a listing of properties available to voucher holders. This list is located in the Forms section of this webpage or by seeing the receptionist at RHA’s main office. Voucher holders are also encouraged to utilize the Affordable Housing website to help them locate a unit.

Once you have located a unit, you must submit a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) to RHA. RHA will determine if the unit is affordable. If the unit is determined to be affordable for the family, the unit will be scheduled for a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection. Only after the unit has passed the HQS inspection can a lease be signed and executed between the tenant and landlord.

Any changes to your household, including changes in income and family composition, must be reported, in writing within 30 calendar days.

All changes must be reported, in writing on an Update of Information form, within 30 calendar days of the change.  RHA provides an Update of Information form, which can be located in the Forms section of this website, in the foyer of our main office or upon request.  Update forms can be submitted via the drop box located at the main office, in person to our reception staff, via email at or via fax (775-786-1712).  If an update form is submitted to our reception staff, a receipt of submission will be provided.  If other methods of submitting the form are used, you are encouraged to call and verify the form was received by the RHA.  Please give us 3-4 days to receive, post and log the form before calling.

Reports of program abuse or fraud can be made by phone (775-329-3630), mail (1525 E. 9th Street Reno, NV 89512), e-mail ( or fax (775-786-1712). Allegations of program abuse and fraud may be made anonymously. Because we cannot confirm or deny someone’s participation in the program, you will not receive updates on the status of your allegation, even if an investigation is started.

Copies of all notices from your landlord should be submitted to RHA within 10 days of receipt of the notice.

You must provide at least 30-day notice of your intent to vacate to your current landlord (specifics of intent to vacate are outlined in your lease). Bring a copy of the notice, signed by both you and your landlord, to the RHA office and request to see the Leasing Agent. If your request to move/transfer meets basic requirements, you will be issued a voucher to transfer and may begin looking for a new unit.

If you would like to take your HCV portable, you must come into the RHA office and see the Leasing Agent. It is helpful to have the information of the housing authority you will be porting to with you for this meeting.

You may request a file review by completing a File Review/Hearing Request form, which is located in the Forms section of the website or can be obtained from RHA’s office. A file review will be schedule to discuss your concerns and to review the determination that RHA has made.