Portability is the process of transferring or “porting” a family’s rental subsidy to another Housing Authority’s jurisdiction. Portability is only available through the Housing Choice Voucher program and only under certain circumstances.

Restrictions on Portability for Applicants. If neither the head nor spouse had a domicile (legal residence) in RHA’s jurisdiction at the date of their initial application for assistance, the household will not be permitted to exercise portability upon issuance of a voucher except as provided for in the VAWA after receipt of acceptable certification. For a portable household that was not already receiving assistance in RHA’s tenant-based program, RHA must determine whether the household is eligible for admission under the receiving PHA’s program.

Restrictions on Portability for Participants. After an applicant has leased-up in the jurisdiction of the initial housing agency, they cannot exercise portability during the first year of assisted occupancy except as provided for in the VAWA after receipt of acceptable certification. RHA will not permit households to exercise portability if the household owes money to RHA or has moved out of its assisted unit in violation of the lease. If RHA is in the process of taking action that could result in termination of the household’s assistance, RHA will provide written notification of the possible termination to the receiving PHA.

Porting In to RHA

RHA is currently absorbing all incoming ports. Please direct all questions and portability paperwork to portability@renoha.org. Once your completed file has been received, the RHA will contact you to conduct a recertification of your file. After your file has been updated, you will be scheduled for a briefing where you will be issued the RFTA paperwork required to receive housing assistance in Washoe County.

Please note that in accordance with HUD guidelines, the RHA re-screens incoming portable clients for eligibility according to the policies in our Administrative Plan by conducting fingerprinting on all adult household members during the briefing. The RHA will not delay issuing a voucher in order to conduct this screening; however, should you be found ineligible in our jurisdiction, we may refuse to assist you (by either referring you back to your original Housing Authority or terminating your assistance per 24 CFR 982.552 and 24 CFR 982.553).

Porting Out of RHA

If you are a Housing Choice Voucher holder meeting the restrictions outlined above, please submit the Portability Request Form to leasing@renoha.org.